News Release

April 23, 2004

Contact: Jane Shaskan, 860-679-4777

CPCC Issues Product Warning

FARMINGTON, Conn. – The Connecticut Poison Control Center at the University of Connecticut Health Center is issuing a warning about Mistolín, a cleaning product with packaging very similar to a sports drink and contents that are colorful and have a sweet and fruity smell.

The product was brought to the attention of the poison center after a young teen mistook it for a sports drink. The teen spit out the cleaning substance and therefore had no ill effects. “Mistolín contains strong detergents that can cause significant throat irritation and vomiting if swallowed,” said Amy Hanoian, community education specialist for the poison control center.

Mistolín is largely available in discount stores and is marketed to Latin Americans. To view the product, visit

When poisoning is suspected, don’t wait to see what happens. Call the Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.

UConn Health includes the schools of medicine and dental medicine, the UConn Medical Group, University Dentists, and John Dempsey Hospital. Home to Bioscience Connecticut, UConn Health pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. More information about UConn Health is available at

Note: News professionals are invited to visit the UConn Health Today news page ( for regularly updated news and feature stories, photos and media stories. News releases are archived at UConn Health news and information is also available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.