News Release

January 16, 2004

Contact: Jane Shaskan, 860-679-4777

CPCC Releases Urgent CO Warning

FARMINGTON, Conn. – The Connecticut Poison Control Center at the University of Connecticut Health Center is issuing a warning about the risks of propane gas, wood stoves, and kerosene heaters as a source of heat during the frigid weather.

Without proper ventilation/exhaust or combustion, heating systems can bring dangerous carbon monoxide into the home.
A byproduct of burning organic fuels that include oil, gas, wood, coal and kerosene, carbon monoxide has no smell or taste. The Connecticut Poison Control Center strongly recommends the use of carbon monoxide detectors.

Early symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea, unclear thinking, shortness of breath, weakness, and loss of muscle control. Severe symptoms can include convulsions and unconsciousness that can lead to death.

If your detector alarm goes off, or if you experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside immediately. Use your cell phone or a neighbor’s phone to call your local fire department or 911.

UConn Health includes the schools of medicine and dental medicine, the UConn Medical Group, University Dentists, and John Dempsey Hospital. Home to Bioscience Connecticut, UConn Health pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. More information about UConn Health is available at

Note: News professionals are invited to visit the UConn Health Today news page ( for regularly updated news and feature stories, photos and media stories. News releases are archived at UConn Health news and information is also available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.