News Release

March 16, 2006

Contact: Jane Shaskan, 860-679-4777

UConn Medical Students Match Top Residencies

Primary Care Favored Specialty

FARMINGTON, CONN. – Match Day was an outstanding success for the students at the UConn Medical School today as 97.5 percent of those seeking residencies were matched with a program. The national average was 93.7 percent.

At 12:05 p.m., 74 medical students, along with their peers across the country in the Class of 2006, learned the location of their medical residency program.

Primary care residency programs accounted for 46 percent of the students, most being in internal medicine and pediatrics. Anesthesiology, emergency medicine, ob/gyn were the top three programs for the remaining 54 percent of the students.

Most students, 61 percent, will stay in the New England states to complete their residencies; 31 percent of whom will remain in Connecticut. The remaining students are attending programs at institutions across the country, such as, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, Columbia Presbyterian, Einstein/Jacobi Medical Center, George Washington University, Cleveland Clinic, and Case Western among others.

“Over the years, our students match to the most prestigious residencies in the country, and this year is no exception. We’re also thrilled that so many are staying in Connecticut,” said Anthony Ardolino, M.D., associate dean for Medical Student Affairs. “Our students have done a fantastic job.”

This year, 15,008 U.S. medical school seniors applied for residency positions through the National Resident Matching Program. Match Day is conducted annually and matches the preference of applicants with the preference of residency programs to fill the available training positions at teaching hospitals nationwide.

UConn Health includes the schools of medicine and dental medicine, the UConn Medical Group, University Dentists, and John Dempsey Hospital. Home to Bioscience Connecticut, UConn Health pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. More information about UConn Health is available at

Note: News professionals are invited to visit the UConn Health Today news page ( for regularly updated news and feature stories, photos and media stories. News releases are archived at UConn Health news and information is also available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.