News Release

March 15, 2007

Contact: Jane Shaskan, 860-679-4777

UConn Medical Students Top National Average

Primary Care Favored Specialty

FARMINGTON, CONN. – Match Day was an outstanding success for the students at the UConn Medical School today as 98.7 percent of those seeking residencies were matched with a program. The national average was 93.7 percent.

At 12:05 p.m., 75 medical students, along with their peers across the country in the Class of 2007, learned the location of their medical residency program.

Primary care residency programs, most being in internal medicine and pediatrics, accounted for 49 percent of the students. Anesthesiology and general medicine were the top two programs for the remaining 51 percent of students.

Most students, 54 percent, will stay in New England – 32 percent in Connecticut; 15 percent in the Northeast region states; and the remainder will be attending programs at institutions across the country. The soon-to-be medical school graduates will be attending University of California/Los Angeles, University of California/San Francisco, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lahey Clinic, Rhode Island Hospital/Brown University, Yale-New Haven, Ohio State University Medical Center, Mount Sinai Hospital/New York, Cleveland Clinic, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center; among others.

“Year after year, our students match to the most prestigious residencies in the country, and this year is no exception. We are extremely proud of medical students,” said Anthony Ardolino, M.D., associate dean for Medical Student Affairs.

Match Day is conducted annually and matches the preference of applicants with the preference of residency programs to fill the available training positions at teaching hospitals nationwide.

UConn Health includes the schools of medicine and dental medicine, the UConn Medical Group, University Dentists, and John Dempsey Hospital. Home to Bioscience Connecticut, UConn Health pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. More information about UConn Health is available at

Note: News professionals are invited to visit the UConn Health Today news page ( for regularly updated news and feature stories, photos and media stories. News releases are archived at UConn Health news and information is also available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.