News Release

March 20, 2008

Contact: Kristina Goodnough, 860-679-3700

UConn Medical Students Match Up Well

FARMINGTON, Conn. – Match Day was a great success for students at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine as 98 percent secured residencies through the National Residency Match Program. The national average was 94 percent.

Primary care residency programs, mostly internal medicine and pediatrics, accounted for 41 percent of the students. Obstetrics and gynecology and general surgery were the top two programs for the remaining 59 percent of students. More than half the class, 49 of the 80 students, will stay in New England, with 36 remaining in Connecticut.

“It’s another great year of matching for our students,’ says Anthony Ardolino, M.D., associate dean of medical student affairs. “We are very proud of them.”

Match Day is conducted annually at medical schools across the country to match students with residency programs and fill the available training positions at teaching hospitals around the country.

UConn Health includes the schools of medicine and dental medicine, the UConn Medical Group, University Dentists, and John Dempsey Hospital. Home to Bioscience Connecticut, UConn Health pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. More information about UConn Health is available at

Note: News professionals are invited to visit the UConn Health Today news page ( for regularly updated news and feature stories, photos and media stories. News releases are archived at UConn Health news and information is also available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.