News Release

March 18, 2010

Contact: Carolyn Pennington, 860-679-4864

Match Day a Success for UConn Medical Students

FARMINGTON, CONN. – Match Day was a great success for students at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine as 97 percent secured residencies through the National Residency Match Program. The national average is 93 percent.

Primary care residency programs, mostly internal medicine and pediatrics, accounted for 35 percent of the students. Emergency medicine, obstetrics and gynecology and psychiatry were the top three programs for the remaining 65 percent of students. The majority of the class, 54 of the 75 students, will stay in the Northeast, with 16 remaining in Connecticut.

“Year after year, our students match to the most prestigious residencies in the country, and this year is no exception. We’re extremely proud of them,” says Dr. Anthony Ardolino, associate dean of medical student affairs.

Match Day is conducted annually at medical schools across the country to match students with residency programs and fill the available training positions at teaching hospitals around the country.

Caption: Christopher Sala (left), of Stamford, a fourth-year student at the UConn School of Medicine, and Tobias Wasser, of New Milford, open their envelopes to find out which residency programs they’ll be attending. Sala will stay at the UConn Health Center in the emergency medicine program and Wasser will attend the psychiatry program at Yale University. Both are members of the Class of 2010 who received their residency appointments at the traditional Match Day ceremony March 18.

Charlecinth Yennie (center), a fourth-year student at UConn School of Medicine, along with family members, is happy to learn she has been accepted into the family medicine residency program at the UConn Health Center and St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center. Yennie, of Hartford, is one of 75 members of the Class of 2010 who received their residency appointments at the traditional Match Day ceremony March 18.

UConn Health includes the schools of medicine and dental medicine, the UConn Medical Group, University Dentists, and John Dempsey Hospital. Home to Bioscience Connecticut, UConn Health pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. More information about UConn Health is available at

Note: News professionals are invited to visit the UConn Health Today news page ( for regularly updated news and feature stories, photos and media stories. News releases are archived at UConn Health news and information is also available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.